Thread: General diet plan?

General diet plan?

Thanks again for all your help everyone. Martin seems to be doing better overcoming his mites and has stopped losing as many quills and the fur on his face seems to be growing back. He seems to have a had a decrease in appetite though and is sleeping more often.
    I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a general diet plan? I believe his previous owners feed him a diet of only the high quality cat food and meal worms. I'd like to include the veggies and fruits as well as chicken. Does he need fruit, veggies, chicken, meal worms, and the cat food everyday? Like a small amount of fruit and veggies at dinner with some unseasoned chicken and a bit of cat food, then at breakfast one or two meal worms and some cat food. How is this? I'd just like to be sure I'm feeding him adequately and he gets all his nutrition.

Also, is it required the chicken meat is organic? I don't mind it's just the expenses.
    We already had a bag of frozen boneless chicken breast in the freezer but i was unsure if i should use them or not. The ingredients were: chicken, water, chicken broth, and salt. If this is safe that'd be great. Or should I buy fresh chicken and prepare it then store it in the fridge?

Tonight I feed him high quality cat food with two meal worms and in the other dish a small amount of fresh cucumber and no sugar added apple sauce.

Thanks once again in advance guys.
    Last edited by Johnlock; 06-02-2012 at 01:58 AM. Reason: more detail
    Iím new at the whole hedgehog thing so I tend to fret and have lots of questions. I really adore my rescue hedgehog, Martin <3 In fact, I tend to refer to him as Prince Martin. :^)

That's a lot of food for a little guy. The chicken doesn't need to be organic. Dry cat food being the staple (normal) diet, the rest is more 'treat' food. Little bits every once in awhile are great. Tummy size on an adult hedgehog is the size of a green grape. They're foragers, so do eat a couple tablespoons of food a night; but what you're proposing would be much more than that, and it's perishable food stuffs you can't leave in the cage. I'm glad he's doing better, and I know you're going to spoil him rotten!!
    Terrapin Hedgehogs in MD Serving all of the mid-Atlantic and beyond!|
    Hedgehog World

Quote Originally Posted by Stasi View Post
    That's a lot of food for a little guy. The chicken doesn't need to be organic. Dry cat food being the staple (normal) diet, the rest is more 'treat' food. Little bits every once in awhile are great. Tummy size on an adult hedgehog is the size of a green grape. They're foragers, so do eat a couple tablespoons of food a night; but what you're proposing would be much more than that, and it's perishable food stuffs you can't leave in the cage. I'm glad he's doing better, and I know you're going to spoil him rotten!!
    That's great to know thank you! I was going off the diets I had read and it did seem like quite a lot! Thank you so much again dear <3 for everything
    Iím new at the whole hedgehog thing so I tend to fret and have lots of questions. I really adore my rescue hedgehog, Martin <3 In fact, I tend to refer to him as Prince Martin. :^)