Thread: Tips for the heat?

Tips for the heat?

Ah. Summer. How much I loathe summer living in Maine. The worst part is, I live here so I don't have to deal with the summers... After 12 years, you think I would learn my lesson.

Anyhow. I know at one point I asked about the heat and my hedgie, but I thought I would ask again for maybe some other tips/tricks to help with the summer heat. Sadly, I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building, so it's usually about 10 degrees hotter than it is outside. Humidity is killer here, and my A/C is a piece of crap, so it's usually miserable in the apartment. Sadly, it looks like Reia is taking a beating with it too. I've been using a cold water bottle for her to sleep next to outside of her cage, but that's about the only thing I have really done for her. I keep plenty of water for her in the cage, in case she gets thirsty from the heat.

What are some other tips from you folks to help keep the hedgie comfortable?

Also... Cannot wait for Autumn!
    ~Sam, the always worried Mommy~
    ♪♫ My 'lil Reia ~ 11/27/11 - 12/15/12 RIP 'lil girl ♫♪
    "There are no hedgehogs in captivity... instead, we are held captive... ... ... by the hedgehog."

A fan in the room may help-not blowing right on her, but in the room. It may make it feel less stagnant. A bath-even a warm bath- can help her feel cooler too.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Quote Originally Posted by Cardianharle View Post
    Ah. Summer. How much I loathe summer living in Maine.
    Maine??? Common, your complaining about Maine???

The average temp in central Africa is 79 degrees, which means it gets hotter. I don't really worry unless it gets into the 90's and then a frozen water bottle or a fan will do the trick.

K

Maine...hahahahahahaha!
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World