+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HEDGEHOG HAS RED BUMPS EVERYWHERE? PLEASE HELP.

HEDGEHOG HAS RED BUMPS EVERYWHERE? PLEASE HELP.

Hello.
    I got this hedgehog like a month ago and ever since I got it he has developed small red bumps all on his back and bely and under one of his arms.

He does not have mites.

Can it be a food allergy? I put him on a new food. (his last owner had him on some dollar store cat food junk )

Please help.
    I rescued him and can't get him a new home until he has rid of these small red bumps.
    Looks like chicken pox.

I can't say that I've ever seen what you are describing. It could be a food allergy, did it appear shortly after you switched to the new food? what food are you feeding? Did you change to a different bedding? what about detergents?

Could fleas be a possibility? My recommendation would be to go to the vet and ask to treat the hedgehog with Revolution. That would kill off fleas and mites (you can't always see mites, BTW). DO NOT let your vet use Ivermectin, it could kill your hedgehog.

K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

He is on authority cat food. I am going to mix in some blue buffalo cat food soon but was worried if the authority was causing allergies. I have lots of hedgehogs and have NEVER seen this before. I will try and get some pics. I noticed like a week and a half after I got him. I am worried about little skippy. When I first got him he was very very very thin!! He had a cut on his nose too. The cut healed and he is now looking normal with his weight though
    Now I am just worried about this. I am trying to find him a home but I can't if this keeps up.

Is revolution over the counter or prescription only? No change of bedding either.

He is such a sweet little guy and has come a long way and I just need this to be over with so he can go to a loving forever home.
    God bless

Revolution is by prescription through your vet in the US. Until you find out what this is, make sure he is quarantined away from other hedgehogs in case it is an infection of some kind. Is he scratching? It sounds itchy from your description
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

He has not been scratching at all and his skin looks great (not dry or flakey) other then the red bumps.
    So he really doesn't have any symptoms. Thats why I think its food allergies. I mean it has to be. None of my other hogs have red bumps. If it were fleas or mites wouldn't they all have it too?
    He doesn't look to be in pain. He is spunky and happy. I just wish I knew what the cause is.

My recommendation is still go to the vet. I would think the bumps would be itchy if they were a food allergy; hives usually are.

Kelly
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hedgehog World

What could it be if not itching?

Only a vet will be able to tell you for sure. It does sound like this description of a staph infection (see below) It could also be an allergy to bedding or something environmental.

http://www.hedgehogworld.com/content...-and-Accidents

My hedgehog has crusty looking zits, what is it?-
    There are several issues that may cause crusty looking sores or pimples in hedgehogs. One possibility is an allergic reaction. This is more likely if your hedgehog has recently been changed to a different bedding, different brand of same bedding, or different detergent on fabric beddings. Another possibility is a skin infection. Staph infections often present as crusty looking bumps on the skin, frequently focusing on the legs, feet, and face. A vet visit is necessary to determine the exact cause of these wounds, and to find the appropriate treatment for them.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogowner View Post
    What could it be if not itching?
    We aren't vets and even if we were, we could not give you a diagnosis without physically seeing the hedgehog. You need to take it to the vet.

K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hedgehog World

Okay. I checked him out and looks much more like a rash now. I am switching foods and that should do the trick I think.
    Thanks for the advice. I will monitor him closely.
    I am not going to take him to the vets just yet cause other then the rash he is doing fine and is acting like the same as always.
    I am going to see if a food switch will help before I do anything drastic.

I will keep you guys posted.

+ Reply to Thread