Thread: Nails

Nails

Oh, the bane of my existence since getting a hedgie! I love Fluffy to pieces, but nails have always been tough. They've become tougher in the last few months because she's become a biter. Any tips or ideas?

My favorite is to trim their nails while they are in the bath-most will be too distracted to bite and the nails are softer. There are some forum threads about using a cooling rack that you can look at as well.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Thanks, I'll try the bath! Any tips on that?

Fill up the sink some, but not over the hedgies head-maybe 2-3 inches. Hold the foot and trim underwater. Don't feel you have to do all the nails at once-if you or the hedgie get frustrated, you can always try again another day.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information