Thread: Introducing Cats to your Hedgie

Introducing Cats to your Hedgie

I have my first Hedgehog which I brought home last Sunday. I have 3 cats, which I have kept out of my room for now because that is where Olivia (my hedgie) lives.

How long should I wait before introducing the cats? Any advice on how to go about it?

Thanks a million!

Edge

Most cats are at least a little bit scared of the hedgehogs once they realize they are covered in quills Not as much fun as they look. Most cats will want to smell the hedgehog first or bat at them. Under close supervision, just let the cat do that. They will get poked in the nose or paw pad. Usually once or twice is all it takes but some persistent cats will keep trying and keep getting poked by the quills. You may want to just introduce each cat separately and not make a big deal of it-they just need to know it's not fun to mess with a hedgehog.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Thanks! I will take your advice and introduce one at a time... /w popcorn ready

All 3 cats introduced and my Hedgie could have cared less. The cats had enough sense not to do any more than sniff her.

Glad it all went well and you have such sensible cats
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Two of my cats ignore the hedgehog entirely, but one of them is absolutely desperate to be friends. He will approach purring, and repeatedly (though gently, and without claws) prod the hedgehog on occasion. He doesn't seem to mind the attention, so I'm not too worried. Most recently the pair bonded over some scrambled eggs.

My cat didn't seem to notice the actual hedgie when he came yesterday (apart from trying to eat the cat food) until he was out in his playpen. Albie had shoved his entire face into a long toilet tube and was running around. Henry the cat looked at me in utter fright and had a look - was terrified of him and certainly won't be sniffing him at all!! But then again, my cat is a very, very bad hunter