Thread: frightened behavior normal after 1 month?

frightened behavior normal after 1 month?

I have had a female hedgehog for about a month now. It was a baby when I got it from a legit pet shop in Oregon. The first 2 or so weeks were good, it warmed up to me and seemed happy. Then she began quilling and got grumpy just as I was expecting. I know that quilling can last for a while, but I am noticing some odd behavior she has ben exhibiting for a little over a week now. She is generally frightened when I first walk into the room and runs and hides in her igloo house.

If I give her the chance to smell me she calms down and lets me take her out and is fine for about 5 minutes, but then starts acting very frightened. she squirms around very fast in my hands/arms and when I let her on the ground she frantically runs around as if shes being chased or something. when I put her back in her cage, she runs immediately into her igloo again and stays there. I will hear her later on in her cage eating food and drinking water like normal.

This has happened every day for a little over a week. Is this normal behavior during quilling or is there something else going on?

It doesn't sound to me like there is anything wrong with her. My girl is about 3 months and is IMPOSSIBLE to hang on to. She is always wiggling and running around and likes to play. I think she just wants to explore and have a big space to run around in. With mine, usually she wears herself out and goes to sleep in my elbow
    But she also runs into her igloo all the time, doesn't hang out where I can see her. If I want to pick her up I always have to go in and GET her.
    Does that help?

I do agree with paper doll. Her behavior sounds normal. Hedgehogs are burrowing animals and often they will run back into their burrow/igloo when you first come into the room or when you first put them back in their cage. The squirming around/running around is normal too especially in a young hedgehog. It probably does not have much to do with quilling-she is probably feeling more comfortable around your home and wants to explore more.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I doesnt seem like she is wanting to explore though. I put her in a giant hamster ball sometimes and she meanders around, but this is different. She acts frightened and paranoid.
    And she didnt use to act like it. She was pretty chill for the forst 2 or 3 weeks I had her and only moved around to look around, not frantically looking for a hiding place.

I'll try to make a video next time it happens to show what i'm talking about.

Yes-a video may help/ Did you give her a lot of baths when she was quilling or anything like that? That would possibly scare her
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information