Thread: First Nail Trim

First Nail Trim

Ok so I sucked it up and trimmed her nails. Just her back feet though. I only clipped where it was white. Stayed away from the pink. Is that right? Are their back nails usually longer?

I had a heck of a time hanging on to her!

Sounds good to me!
    Feel the Connection
    www.HorsesKnowTheWayHome.net

Yup! Stay away from the pink! And I find that the back ones are usually longer. There are a few different ways to clipping their nails, a few videos are on you tube that helped me to get a feel for what I was doing. My sink was awful to clip Reia's in, so I had to kinda do some other things, whatever is comfortable for the both of you should work alright!
    ~Sam, the always worried Mommy~
    ♪♫ My 'lil Reia ~ 11/27/11 - 12/15/12 RIP 'lil girl ♫♪
    "There are no hedgehogs in captivity... instead, we are held captive... ... ... by the hedgehog."

We just trimmed our hedgehog's nails for the first time last week! Boy, was he unhappy about it! Cutting near the pink causes them to bleed, so keep to the white parts!

I have to do her front feet now and she will. not. hold. still!!!!
    Has anyone tried filing? If I can get a nail file across them a couple times here and there maybe???

See if you can give her a bath first to get her nails nice and soft. I always ask Willis to help me with nails, because Radcliff HATES it. He will not sit still, so one of us has to hold him and give him treats while the other quickly snips away! See if maybe someone can help you. I haven't tried a file, mainly because I'm scared I'll slip and end up cutting their legs or something.

Good luck!

I am back with further nail cutting issues. So as much as I try to keep up with it I feel like her little nails are growing like weeds and the quick is growing with them! I try to cut them back (they look so long!) but I don't want to hurt her but I also don't want her nails getting out of control. Should I have the vet do it if I'm afraid to nick her?

My Hedgehog is always nervous when I handle him. I couldn't possibly try to trim them myself, is there a way he could wear them down like they do in the wild? I need some suggestions quick his nails are soooo long

Pippin- if you give hedgie a bath and then trim, it's much easier. The nails are softer, and hedgies are less prone to ball up if they are wet. I use small scissors for cutting my hedgies' nails as I find them MUCH easier to maneuver than fingernail clippers.

I tried using scissors in the bath tub but when i went to clip them he would shake his paw in pain I am going to the pet store tomorrow to see if they can help thanks anyways