Thread: Could it be something on him?

Could it be something on him?

I know this is a really weird question, but I never came across any mention of anything like this in my hedgie research. Hamlet isn't the most friendly hedgehog right now, so I get poked quite a bit. This doesn't bother me, but I've noticed that I keep developing tiny bumps under my skin at the sites of the deeper pokes, sometimes with puss and itchy. I know that it's not due to a lack of hygiene on my part because I am an avid handwasher.

This got me to wondering if maybe it's something that's on Hamlet. (I do have skin allergies to random things.) If that's the case, then I have two concerns.

1. Could it be something that's medically harmful him? He has had a little bit of, well, dander for lack of a better term and scratching every once in a while, but it didn't seem excessive. I thought it was pretty normal since he's currently quilling. Do I need to have him looked at?

2. My first instinct is to give him a bath to see if that would help by washing off whatever might be on him since it seems to be bothering me more than him, but I'm concerned to try this method. Like I mentioned, he's quilling right now (though it looks like he should be done soon), and I know that baths can cause skin dryness problems to begin with. Would an oatmeal bath be a good idea in this case?

Then again, it could be one of those normal things that no one mentions in their hedgie memoirs and I'm worrying about nothing. But hey, I'm a new mom and I want to make sure that Hamlet has the very best care I can provide.

Administrator
    Some people have allergies to hedgehogs, but they aren't particularly common. I sometimes get the occasional red bump when handling hedgehogs, but if it goes beyond a little red mark here and there, I typically know that it is time to do baths. Also, it is possible that you are allergic to his bedding, and the tiny break in the skin that occurs from the quill is introducing tiny particles of his bedding into your skin. I would start with giving him a good bath with a gentle puppy shampoo. If that doesn't solve the problem, switch to a different bedding and see if that can fix it. Otherwise, just wash up with an antibacterial soap after playing with him and apply a little lotion. This can help soothe the grumpy skin.
    Becca