Thread: Habitat heating

Habitat heating

I've noticed this winter that my little Nitro doesn't seem to want to eat much unless her habitat is above 75degrees F. She has a 100W ceramic heater attached to a thermostat but I can't seem to heat her habitat more than 5 degrees above the room temperature. I live in a small apartment so she is in the main living area making heating her and myself a challenge. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to keep her warm and eating without overheating my tiny apartment? I have contemplated getting her a heating pad < http://www.amazon.com/Heated-Resting...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 > but am hesitant to invest without knowing how well it will work.

I have that exact heating pad, and it is wonderful! My apartment gets very cold here in Maine, so I have a small ceramic heating bulb and that heating pad. It's well worth the buy. I leave it on under where Mallow sleeps 24/7, it keeps her happy and comfy.
    ~Sam, the always worried Mommy~
    ♪♫ My 'lil Reia ~ 11/27/11 - 12/15/12 RIP 'lil girl ♫♪
    "There are no hedgehogs in captivity... instead, we are held captive... ... ... by the hedgehog."

Thanks for the feedback! I'm just at a loss for another way to supplement her heat and am actually a little surprised that her ceramic lamp doesn't compensate more. I really just want to leave the apartment at around 60/65 degrees when I'm not home but if I do that her habitat doesn't stay much above 72. Do you find that the heating pad provides an overall warmer environment on top of warming your hedgie when she's sleeping on it?

I don't know about overall warmer environment, but I know that her hide-a-way is nice and toasty. I wish I could give you more on trying to heat the environment, but that heating plate is worth the purchase.
    ~Sam, the always worried Mommy~
    ♪♫ My 'lil Reia ~ 11/27/11 - 12/15/12 RIP 'lil girl ♫♪
    "There are no hedgehogs in captivity... instead, we are held captive... ... ... by the hedgehog."

I have this exact heating pad and have had it for over 3 years, it runs non stop in the winter. My hedgie is in a plastic sterlite bin and I cut a hole with a dremel to fit the cord through on the corner and I have fleece liners under it and the snuggle bag that he sleeps in is usually on top. I guess when he gets warm he moves it off the heat. It doesn't get heaps warm so its not going to warm the air but it must be nice to sleep on cause he seems to prefer sleeping on it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Heated-Resting.../dp/B000NVC7DO
    Feel the Connection
    www.HorsesKnowTheWayHome.net

I bought the heating pad and it should be here early next week. I'll have to experiment with how to set it up in her habitat. She's in a plastic bin as well but I don't have the tools to cut holes into it. Also she sleeps in funny places. Currently she is trying to get comfy but overturning her wheel and litter box....she's a funny little one.