Thread: Hedgehog feels a bit chubbier after antibiotics?

Hedgehog feels a bit chubbier after antibiotics?

Hello! I brought my female hedgehog, Teela to the vet on March 5 because she was showing signs of blood in her urine. The vet did the typical/necessary procedure to cancel out the blood coming from her urine. She is quite positive that it is something to do with her uterus. So Teela was put on antibiotics for two weeks. The vet said that if the bleeding continues afterwards she will have to be spayed. It has now been five full days that I have been giving it to her and I have noticed that she feels a little chubbier than usual. Is the antibiotics bloating her or increasing her appetite? It just seems strange that ever since I've been giving it to her she feels chubby. I weighted her and she did gain weight. Not too much though. If the weight gain continues throughout the two week span that I have to give her the antibiotics should I notify the vet?

I would certainly keep track of any changes and let the vet know. I don't think I've ever had one gain weight when on an antibiotic. It could be a problem, or it could be as simple as eating more because she feels better. You could even just call the vet and ask for an opinion, since the vet has the hands-on experience with her already.

Okay thank you. Ya, I think I am going to call the vet today.