Thread: When can I start handling my mama hedgie and her hoglets? (New breeder)

Question When can I start handling my mama hedgie and her hoglets? (New breeder)

Hi there,

My mama hedgie has given birth a week ago, she has been a good mommy so far and Ive been giving her space and quiet to raise her babies in. I hear them squeaking, depending on the day and now more then ever Peeko (mama) has been coming out often to eat a load of food and drink half her bottle of water XD (takes her about an hour and a half to do so its so cute sounding). I just wanted to know when it is acceptable to hold mama around? When can I start to hold the hoglets around and for sure when will mama not eat the hoglets for being disturbed? I have done tons of hedgie research before and during this and already have a mentor breeder, but her opinion seems to differ from what I find online, so any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!!

I forgot about the fact that my nest box has a plastic igloo in it that she uses for the hoglets and the only way I can even peek in is if I completely lift it off them X_X My mom has been less huffy and puffy in the past couple days though, Ive caught her out during the day and night and she just sits there quietly til I leave.

I was able to lift off the igloo while she was in her cage for a drink and not in the nest box 3 beauitful breathing hoglets, bigger then I was expecting too and my mama, Peeko didnt mind that I was there either, as she was silent the whole time. The only question I had lingering is when am I able to hold my mama hedgie around? Do I have to wait until the hedgies are weaned? Is it safe to pick her up when shes breasting feeding the hoglets? Really hoping someone has some advice! Thanks

All hedgie moms are different. Usually it is okay to hold the babies at around 2 weeks, but you may have to wait longer for some moms. We have had moms get stressed and try to hurt babies at 3 weeks old. If mom starts carrying babies around, then she is stressed out and looking for a new nest.
    I would wait at least 2 weeks to hold the babies. As far as picking up mom, she should be devoting most of her time to taking care of the babies so you don't want to be picking her up and paying a lot of attention to her and distracting her right now.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Quote Originally Posted by CThogs View Post
    All hedgie moms are different. Usually it is okay to hold the babies at around 2 weeks, but you may have to wait longer for some moms. We have had moms get stressed and try to hurt babies at 3 weeks old. If mom starts carrying babies around, then she is stressed out and looking for a new nest.
    I would wait at least 2 weeks to hold the babies. As far as picking up mom, she should be devoting most of her time to taking care of the babies so you don't want to be picking her up and paying a lot of attention to her and distracting her right now.
    Thank you, Im able to handle the hoglets now and my mama doesnt mind. I was just wondering if I was allowed to hold her for even 5 mins a day sorta thing.. I havent held her since before she gave birth over 2 weeks ago now. Also, she does trust me, would I be pushing it to lift up the igloo while shes in it with her babies?

Figured it out on my own, shes good with me lifting off the igloo and has been for a while now plus she loves it when I take her out for a bit