Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He did not use to bite me

He did not use to bite me

My hedgehog has started to bite me. What can I do to stop him?
    I have had him for nearly a year and the first 10 months I did not bite, but know it is nearly every day.
    I have not changed soap, cream or anything else. As far as I know everything is the same as it used to be.

Does he lick or sniff you before biting or just come at you aggressively?
    Feel the Connection
    www.HorsesKnowTheWayHome.net

He do not sniff or lick me and he do not huff or show any agression either. He just suddenly bites med.

I have had a couple of hedgehogs who decided that biting was a good way to communicate. It was usually within that first year. If there are any toys in the cage that he can bite, I would remove those as that seems to make it worse. Try to keep your fingers and anything else bite-able away from his mouth. The less opportunity he has to bite, then the less he will do it, hopefully.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I am having a similar problem. Krampus is about 5 months old and after the first month of living together, he started to bite (hard--he's drawing blood!) He will bite any exposed flesh, not just fingers and hands. Is there any way to get him to stop? I've started to pick him up with gloves because it's so bad. Once he's out of his cage he's fine with me, as long as I don't offer him an arm or finger, that is. Has anyone had any success with a mean bitey hedgehog growing out of it? Or am I stuck with an insatiable biter?

Avy (My hedgehog) do not bite very hard.
    I have posted the same question in an English hedgehogpage. A breeder recommended me to blow on hes face and keep doing what I am doing, so he do not learn that he can get hes will.
    At the moment I am trying something in the middle. I keep doing what is important to me, but I am more careful, and I always know where hes mouth is. When it makes sense I keep my hands away from hes mouth.
    It seems to work. He have not been biting me for the last couple of days, and I cross my fingers.

Thank you for the help CThogs

You're welcome Soren Tree-I don't think you are stuck with an insatiable biter. Like all things hedgehog, it does take patience sometimes. If you do a combination of things like lessening the opportunity to bite and also blow on their face or make a loud noise ( Usually screaming "no" as they chomp down on your unsuspecting finger works too ) you will see some improvement over time. Don't ever put them back in their cage when they bite as that teaches them that biting will get them to go back in their cage.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

my Mina is turning into a biter. And when she usually bites me is when I'm holding her and she's got her backside to me. So, blowing in her face would be a bit of a challenge. I've been saying no biting when I start to get her out, and NO louder when she does bite. It hasn't gotten bad, but she is latching on for longer periods of time. I'm also trying to reduce her opportunities for biting, but I see her glaring at my fingers every so often like she wants to chomp on them.
    Momma to Wilhelmina Wiggles, and Winston Willobee III who has crossed the rainbow bridge.

How old is Mina? I can get Krampus to not bite if I blow in his face, but if he's already latched on even pushing my finger towards him, blowing on his face, yelling at him and (I hate this) vinegar on the nose doesn't help. I bought a cuddle sack to carry him around with me so maybe he'll bond to me better. We hang out a few hours each night, but some nights are just worse than others. Like, last night he was a total cuddle monster, but the night before he was Bitey McBiterson, with grumps and all...I'm really really hoping he learns to love me!