Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: He did not use to bite me

Mina is only 3 months, so I'm still trying to bond with her. She's definitely going to be a challenge, and I need to be patient with her.
    Momma to Wilhelmina Wiggles, and Winston Willobee III who has crossed the rainbow bridge.

Good luck! Keep me posted! I bought a bonding pouch for Krampus and I have to say that I am slowly seeing a decrease in the biting...he is at least not biting as hard, so yay for progress!

I just want to tell you that Avy has not bitten me since I posted this treat, actually he let me pet him longer and longer (up to 20 minuts know). But I am still careful where I put my fingers

Mina is 8 months old. She still bites, but not all the time. It's her way of letting me know that she's not happy. Like waking her up in the middle of the day, giving her a bath, and cutting her nails. But I've noticed that Mina is a chewer, which I realize is not normal for hedgehogs, and shouldn't be encouraged, but she chews on the inside of her tissue boxes (she likes to sleep in them), and parts of her cage. When I have her outside, she likes to chew on sticks and play tug of war with them. She isn't drawing blood, but I do try to limit her opportunities. Good luck.
    Momma to Wilhelmina Wiggles, and Winston Willobee III who has crossed the rainbow bridge.

Although I have never been bitten, I agree that you have to know your hedgie and look for signs that a bite may be coming and also know when your hedgie may be getting tired and then prone to nip. And also not to provide unnecessary opportunities to have your hedgie bite you. I am always careful with my fingers and am militant in using unscented soap on my hands. The one time that Mr. Pickles seemed to be aiming to bite my arm was when I used scented hand lotion on my arm.

Remember, hedgies have poor eye site. If they smell something that they consider yummy or different, they may nip/bite to annoint or eat.

Krampus: Now one year old

...he's still a cranky little biter, but I have to admit I haven't been bit in a good couple of months.
    Let me rephrase. He has not drawn blood in the past few months. He still bites when he's upset, ie. bath time, coming out of his cage, etc.
    He will cuddle in my lap for hours now, but he's not a very playful little guy. So we just snuggle and watch Dr. Who together each night. Love 'im, even if he is a Bitey McBiterson.
    Wishing you all the best!
    T

Well, some hedgies are definately more of the snuggly type and others can be more adventurous. Nonetheless, it sounds like your hedgie is doing well

Rolo bites too. ever since i got him from a store (i thought at that time when i didnt know alot that it was a good as place as any to get him). every time i handle him he tries to bite me and its not a little nibble. he latches on and draws blood every time. ive tried everything from poking him to spraying him with a spray bottle to being silent to yalping. ive tried different soaps and ive tried bitter bird spray and lemon and hot sauce on my hand/fingers. he still goes after them and draws blood even if im not handling him he will try to find my hands to bite. im at my wits end...