Thread: Skinny NEW 5 months old hedgehog- Any suggestions?

Skinny NEW 5 months old hedgehog- Any suggestions?

I just brought home my new adopted baby hedgehog and she is kind of on the skinny side. I think her last owner was feeding her a lot of treats that weren't agreeing with her and they ended up going right threw her which caused the weight loss to occur. I know baby hedgehogs are usually smaller but I raised my 3 year old hedgehog from when she was a baby and never do I recall her looking the way this one does.

What brands of food would you recommend I give her to help beef her up a bit but obviously in a healthy way so that she doesn't get over weight? What cat food brands do you guys have you hedgehogs eat? Should I give her a few mealworms to bring more protein into her diet?

What food was she eating? If she is having stomach upset problems you don't want to change too quickly unless it is a really lousy brand of food. Check to make sure she is eating the kibble. Sometimes with the young ones you may have to crunch it up some-she may not have been weaned properly and need some help
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

The girl who had her was giving her all kinds of things. Dog food/cat food, Dog treats, cat treats, dried chicken that look like sod dust practically and freezer mealworms. She gave me a baggy with some food in it so right now I have no idea what brand of cat food she is on (could be Iams?) but I mixed it with a bit of my kibble I give my older hedgehog and she started to eat it like she was starving. She really liked it.
    Her poo was a greenish colour yesterday when I brought her home in the car last night and when I checked on her this morning it was a brownish colour which is better. Her stomach feels fuller too which is good also. She could have been the runt of the litter possibly. The girl I got her from said she bought her from a breeder. She is young too so hopefully she fills out a little more, because she's kind of shaped like a skinny tube. I weighed her on my scale and it said she was 243g. She is around 5 months old so is that a normal weight for a hedgehog of her age to be? Looking back at the weight chart I made for my older hedgehog Teela when she was growing up she was around 400g at 3-4 months old. So with that being said this little girl is rather tiny indeed.
    What cat foods should I give her to help beef her up in a healthy way. If anyone could send me a list of cat foods that they feed their hedgehogs that have not caused any problems that would be great.
    Thanks.

Giving her a balanced diet and making sure that she is eating is important. Feeding high fat foods to help with weight gain can lead to problems with fatty liver- you don't want that!!

There really isn't a "normal" weight because hedgehogs do vary so much in size. I have had healthy, long lived adults who were as small as 180 grams. Some hedgies are also more naturally skinny and tube shaped (they tend to be highly active). If you could post a picture of her, that would help us help you determine if she's truly underweight, or just small and having a "runner" build.