Thread: Changing bedding

Changing bedding

One of my hedgies may be giving birth soon and she is on aspen bedding. What bedding is best to switch her to, and is also safe?

You're not going to be able to clean the cage for awhile. We use either aspen or carefresh. Carefresh is really good at absorbing odors so you may want to try that
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

If my hedgehog eats the carefresh bedding will it harm her?

Moms don't typically eat bedding. They will carry it around in their mouth to move it to make a nest, but we have not had a problem with a hedgehog eating it and we have used it with a lot of hedgehogs.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Thank you so much! I am going to switch her to carefresh.

I use carefresh and it is wonderful. Hedgies will sometimes dig or burrow but not typically eat it.

My mama did try to eat it and managed to escape her cage to get to the carefresh, walked in on her in the bag. There is a history of hogs eating Carefresh in the past and the serious cases have passed away from it since it expands in their tummys. My boys dont eat the Carefresh though and it is dust free