Thread: Possibly pregnant hedgie, first time owner...

Exclamation Possibly pregnant hedgie, first time owner...

I am a first time owner and not a breeder. I got 4 month old Luna about a week ago when i started noticing she was eating a lot more then usual and has gained weight. I talked to the pet store the other day and they mentioned that she was caged with a male for about a week at the pet store so they didn't get lonely... *face palm*

I talked to vet that day as well (who is also a breeder for hedgehogs) and she gave me some tips on how to care for her and said it was possible the babies could live, so i have a idea of what to do but I had a few questions still i was hoping to get a multiple opinions. Right now Luna has her own quite room in my house and i also have a webcam to keep a eye on her when the babies come so i know whats going on. All the pet store knows is that she possibly 2-3 weeks, for the last couple she has been eating still a large amount but stays in her box all day, only comes out to eat, I've been taking her outside in the grass letting her run around in her ball but i took her wheel out of the cage to avoid injury. I really don't want her to eat them...

- should i be adding food into her diet? I know i need to increase her calcium and i have been giving her cooked, mushed up carrots, strawberries, etc. What food can i get that would increase her calcium?

-what would be the best option for her bedding?

-What will be the signs when shes getting close to her due date? the only sign i know of is loss of appetite.

Well-at least the pet store told you that is what happened. It's not uncommon to have a pet store female who is pregnant. It sounds like you are taking a lot of steps to find out what you need to do so she is lucky to have you

All the pet store knows is that she possibly 2-3 weeks,
    Gestation can be anywhere from 35-60 days so just assume she is pregnant and wait it out

should i be adding food into her diet? I know i need to increase her calcium and i have been giving her cooked, mushed up carrots, strawberries, etc. What food can i get that would increase her calcium?
    Don't change her food up too much-it can cause stomach upset. You can keep giving her what she is getting now if it doesn't cause green poop and add new things slowly. For calcium you can use part of a crushed up Tums tablet

-what would be the best option for her bedding?
    Something she cann carry around and build her nest with. Carefresh works well because it absorbs odors, but you can use pine or aspen . You are not going to be able to clean the whole cage for awhile because you are not going to want to disturb the nest

What will be the signs when shes getting close to her due date? the only sign i know of is loss of appetite.
    They are all different-some give no signs at all, some will have increased appetite, some will nest like crazy. The only sure way is to wait it out and see if there are babies.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Thank you so much for your reply!

I got her some carefresh the other day and she loves it, I feel bad for having her in a room with no windows though but its the quietest room in the house. To make it more comfortable i but a light in her room with a automatic light that turns on at 9am and shuts off at 9pm.
    I bring her cage out into the sun for a bit and take her out into the grass and she loves it. When the babies come around or whens she close to due date should I leave her in the quite room or out in a less quite room with windows.