Thread: It's summertime! How warm is too warm?

It's summertime! How warm is too warm?

Hey there! I live on a third floor that is not air conditioned, and am wondering, since the temperature is supposed to be in the 90's today, if it's safe to leave my little monster in my room during the day? Of course the windows are open, but should I be running a fan? At what temperature should I start to worry, and what have others done to deal with the heat, if anything?
    Thank you
    Tree

Well, you definately should run a fan and have air circulating. Does a breeze come in through the window? How do you stay cool? Do you have access to A.C.?

Keep the room shaded, too.

Ok, so at 90 I should keep the fan on? The room does get a good breeze with the window open, and I kept the curtains half-drawn today to keep the sun out. He did well, but I just want to make sure that he doesn't get too hot. This is unusually hot for the end of May, so no A/C yet. Thank you!

Most hedgehogs don't mind the heat at least for the first couple of days When we have the extended heat waves they like it less and less each day-sort of like us. Either the breeze from the window or a fan is good-if you have breeze you may not need the fan too. If your hedgie is splatting out on their stomach or sleeping in a different spot than normal that usually means they are not comfortable. You can put an ice pack or cold soda can in the cage and they will go near it if they are warm
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Thank you! Smart to use an ice pack- I will try that next time