Thread: how to fatten hedggie?

how to fatten hedggie?

after my daughter chili delivered her 5 babies, raised & suckled them, she is losing weight! she is weight about 380g only, now consider the smallest size among her babies

i had tried to fed her more cat food to fattening her, but no improvement yet. whenever look at her i feels like OMG, she gave all the best to her babies yet she lose so much. any one have any idea to fattening her? thanks

her daily main course is mix cat foods, as below:
    TOTW - CANYON RIVER FELINE FORMULA:- protein 32%, fat 16%
    Feline Caviar - Chicken with Salmon Grain Free Cat Dinner:- protein 32%, fat 20%
    NutraGold - INDOOR ADULT CAT :- protein 32%, fat 14%

with boiled salmon cubes, 2-3 cubes, 1cm X 0.5cm in size as daily treat,
    occasionally yogurt drop (for small mammal) & dried mealworms too

Give her some calcium too-they lose calcium from nursing. You can crush up part of a tums with calcium or some cottage cheese or yogurt. Not a lot, but a little on a regular basis. For food, I would give her extras of whatever she likes the most. If she continues to lose weight, you want to see the vet. There may be some internal issues going on.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I would agree on seeing the vet. A big danger with trying to fatten up a critter is that if the diet isn't balanced, too much too quickly can lead to problems like fatty liver. I also agree about being sure she's getting calcium; nursing can definitely deplete that. I use kitten milk replacer sprinkled on the food to add calcium and calories in moms that seem to be struggling to make milk or maintain weight.

she didn't keep on losing weight, but lose some weight after weaned her babies. (at least now her weight maintain 360-380gm).
    will try to feed her some canned cat food and keep monitoring.

I would not tend to feed the canned cat food- it's low in fiber and high in sodium and fat, none of which is good for hedgies.

she's now indulging with boiled salmon, chicken breast and egg. dry cat food still her main course. i have added small portion of dog food, to compromise the nutrition. good idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dog food can be okay-it depends on the size. You may have to chop it if it's too big or they can choke
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information