Thread: some suggestions from a vet - diet

some suggestions from a vet - diet

chat with my friend from the other hedgehog group. he went to vet for his hedgies check up and he got some info from vet about the diet.

1- Cat food vs Dog food
    in the vet's opinion, dog food suit hedgie more that cat food. Cat food is just taste too salty for our hedgie. i would suggest to mix both cat and dog food to compromise imperfection of each other? but dog food is just too big and hard, we have to crunch it. what is your think one this?

2- FM Brown's Zoo Vitals Hedgehog Food
    zoo-vital.jpg

vet informed my friend this is the best hedgehog food so far in the market (i am from Malaysia). OMG, when i read the ingredient, i just can see all those ingredients that i would avoid to feed them. the top 5 down the list is all corn or soy related product. the only animal protein i see is the poultry meal. How can this be one of the best hedgehog food? What do you think?

zoo-vital-1.jpg
    Main ingredient: Corn, wheat, wheat flour, soybean meal, soy flour, corn gluten meal, poultry meal, soybean oil, alfalfa leaf meal, steamed flake corn
    Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein (min.) 15.0%
    Crude Fat (min.) 4.0%
    Crude Fiber (max.) 6.0%
    Moisture (max.) 12.0%
    Last edited by kaye; 06-30-2013 at 08:31 AM.

1- Cat food vs Dog food
    Yes-some dog foods can be fine if chopped. I don't recommend it to people mainly because of the larger size. Not sure on the taste of dog food versus cat food because I've never tried them

No-the Browns is not very good and most of the hedgehogs won't eat it. There are better hedgehog foods out there but in general the hedgehog foods are not as good as the cat foods which are more readily available.

Often vets have never owned hedgehogs so their advice may not be based on real life experience. I think that you could probably advise your friend better Kaye based on what's available in Malaysia
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Quote Originally Posted by CThogs View Post
    1- Cat food vs Dog food
    Yes-some dog foods can be fine if chopped. I don't recommend it to people mainly because of the larger size. Not sure on the taste of dog food versus cat food because I've never tried them

No-the Browns is not very good and most of the hedgehogs won't eat it. There are better hedgehog foods out there but in general the hedgehog foods are not as good as the cat foods which are more readily available.

Often vets have never owned hedgehogs so their advice may not be based on real life experience. I think that you could probably advise your friend better Kaye based on what's available in Malaysia
    i think he need a new vet too

Quote Originally Posted by kaye View Post
    i think he need a new vet too
    Are there lots of hedgehog savvy vets in Malaysia or is it hard to find vets??If there are lots, then yeah not a bad idea
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

is hard to find a decent vet for hedgehog here.
    most of the vet still only familiar with cats and dogs.