Thread: Half-Blind Hoglet???

Exclamation Half-Blind Hoglet???

Hey guys So, my dear Kit-Kat gave birth more than a week ago and I have already been permitted to interact with her three little toddlers! Anyways, I was holding one up and I noticed that one of the baby's eyes were white? 0_0 I know that's not a normal thing, I've done my research Anyways, yeah. Is she half blind? Was this passed on genetically? I know that the two hedgehogs were definitely not related! So PLEASE reply! Thank you! :amused

Are all the babies eyes open yet? Can you post a picture? It may be a quill poke or other eye injury which would probably require ointment from the vet
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I checked again, and found out the eye is closed, but covered with dried mucus, she doesn't like me touching or trying to remove it. Luckily, it isn't white. But I am a very over-dramatic momma hedgehog when it comes to these situations. xD Will send a pic very soon! But for now, is the mucus a sign? My other two hoglets don't have that...

Sorry-I didnt see this post. If there is green mucus or blood, then the baby will need to see the vet. Keep watch every day and it may just get better.on its own, The problem with bringing a young baby to the vet is that mom may reject it or all of them afterward.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I remove it almost everyday, and it's getting lesser and lesser Her other eye is already open, though.

Ok, well, continue to monitor and photos please

If the eye is not open when she is 4 weeks (and able to live on crushed food without mom) I would get her to the vet. It's good that it looks better but there can still be infection there no matter how it looks
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs