Thread: Scared hedgie

Scared hedgie

I've had my hedgehog Napoleon for almost two weeks. I make sure to spend time with him every day but he's still hissing and acting like he's scared. I don't know how to get him to be comfortable because he's just getting more and more defensive. I'm really worried about him and I don't know what to do.

How are you when you are holding him?? If you are nervous, he will pick up on that. If you can try to act like there is nothing wrong, even if he is defensive and hissing and huffing, that can go a long way towards making them act less scared. There are articles in the behavior and handling section that may help out.http://www.hedgehogworld.com/list.ph...r-and-Handling. Some hedgehogs will take more than a week or two to get used to a new place. Just like people, some deal with change better than others.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I second the suggestion of reading through the archives regarding this as this is a common issue.

Having said this, hedgehogs DO make huffing sounds all the time....it is their primary mode of communicating. They will often initially huff a bit, trying to bluff you and psyche you out If you remain calm and don't get intimidated, your hedgie will soon learn to just give up the huffing and will be calm and friendly

It takes time and a learning curve regarding handling. I was initially very psyched out but was able to learn