Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tragic Event

Exclamation Tragic Event

I just got back from a 4 day vacation and my mother was taking care of all of my hedgehogs which I have 8 including two baby girls. When I got home my mom told me horrible news that the heater over heated and I lost all of them but three. I rushed the three to the emergency vet last night and the vet said they seem to be doing to great for what they have been thru, so I am keeping a close eye on them. I have never been so upset in my entire life. My hedgehogs are my world, and my world crashed down on me. I keep going by empty cages, and I could not say good bye and it breaks my heart. I have not stopped crying since I heard the news, and I never want to leave them ever ever again. Please pray for Casper, Jasper, and Blaze to pull thru. I can not stand to lose another one.

OH NO!!! I am so sorry for your loss and I completely understand how upsetting this is. I am praying for Casper, Jasper and Blaze to pull through and sending prayers to you, too, for your heartbreak.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted as we are all now worried!

Oh no-my heart breaks for you I'm glad the vet said that Casper, Jasper and Blaze are all looking good for what they have been through. I will be thinking of you and them.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Well I got Blaze and Casper to eat a little but not enough to make me feel better. Jasper has barely touched his food this is very concerning to me. I called the vet yesterday and they said they can give me food to give them in a syringe, but I know that will make them extremely upset. The emergency vet said that in two days which is today I can possibly do blood work if I think something may be wrong, but yet again that will make them upset.

What about treats? Will Jasper take some boiled white meat chicken? Or banana? The weather in VA is wacky right now--are they warm enough?

I have them at 75* right now, we are keeping the whole house at that. I tried meal worms which they all go crazy for and he did not touch it. He also has been very shy. Now I am so worried about everything, and I am a mess.

You can try to get them to eat more by crunching up their kibble. You can use a food mill, coffee grinder or plastic bag (hit it with something hard to crunch it into smaller pieces). I would mix some of the crunched up kibble with the full sized kibble and see if they eat more. Are they drinking water? I would give them both water bottle and bowl and make sure they are drinking enough. That may be more important than the food. I would call the vet and tell them how they are doing and see if there is cause for concern or not. I'm sure you are a mess-I would be too
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I know in the past I had to give Spikey IM fluids--this was for 10 days due to dehydration. The vet gave him fluids and then showed me how to do it. I am not going to lie, it was very traumatic for me as it required many steps and I had to inject him in his back with the fluids. But I did it and got through.

Keep us posted!

Update: I got all of them to eat and drink!! First time I smiled in days!!

that is wonderful-very happy for you
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs