Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tragic Event

lots of hugs and love from me and Ms Oreo Cookie
    - -_Miss Oreo Cookie says "come to the Dark Side, We have Cookie". . . silly hedgehog, the "dark side" is only your pouch, and YOU ARE the Cookie_- -

Just wanting to check in with you to see how you are doing....

I am okay... Just a lot going on. I am going away for a little trip for a day in a half and it is making me so nervous. I do not want to go because I am scared something will happen again. My mom started crying because she thinks I will not trust her anymore, which is not true. No one can predict a heater was going to malfunction like that. I thought I was getting better, but I don't know if I am.

Aw..hang in there-both you and your mom. I have heard of a few people who have had malfunctioning or defective equipment over the years so you are not the only ones. If we can help in any way, we are here
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Well I do need to find a new way to keep them warm. Any suggestions? I have one of them on a small animal heating pad, but buying one for all of them can get expensive.

If you plan on getting more hedgehogs and/or breeding again ( and you should consider it because you seem to ask all the right questions and have already dealt with a lousy situation and made it through) I would go for a whole room solution like a space heater (and lots of smoke alarms, thermometers in the cages, etc to keep you from being totally paranoid).

If you are just keeping the ones you have now and keep your house pretty warm, the small animal heat pads work for some hedgehogs and are probably the easier route to go. If you need more heat, the ceramic heat emitters work too but they can overheat if they are not placed properly so you have to be wary of that.

I have heard good things about this heat pad from people who have used them

71qmIS9x5AL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NVC7DO/...I21Q94TDDOFKDC
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I have one of the heating pads already, but it is hard to have them all plugged in (not enough outlets lol). I think I am just going to have to get a different space heater and set up an alarm that will go off if the room gets to warm I am definitely going to keep breeding. I will never get over the loss of my babies, but it is not going to stop me from breeding. Trying to keep my head up .

Wow, that is a terrible story. From one multi hog person to another (with anxiety) I am over here all kinds of shaken up. I only have 6, and I'm not a breeder. It all happened quite by accident. But if anything happened to any of my array because of something like that I would be... well, probably a lot like you have been.
    I have heard good things about *most* radiant type heaters, and I'm so sorry yours malfunctioned so badly.
    Personally I use this one: http://smile.amazon.com/Dyson-AM05-H...n+space+heater

It's stupid expensive, but I'm pretty sure it's about as safe as you can get for a non radiant type heater.

And just.. I'm so sorry.

Just wanting to check in to see how you are doing......hope all is ok.

I am pretty good. It still hits me randomly through out the week and I just start crying . Pretty sure that is normal though. I do have a new female hedgie that I got about a month ago but did not tell that many people. Her name is Peaches and she makes me so happy .