Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tragic Event

Aw-we have a Peaches and had a Peach at one time. They were both sweet and I hope your Peaches brings you happiness.

Have you got your heating figured out? I can ask around if you don't
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

No I have not. Right now I have still been keeping the house at the same temp. I really still think the best way is a space heater and it will be the cheapest, but my mom really does not want me to get one. I think I am going to go to stores and buy one instead of getting one online.

Personally I use this one: http://smile.amazon.com/Dyson-AM05-H...n+space+heater

It's stupid expensive, but I'm pretty sure it's about as safe as you can get for a non radiant type heater.

I have looked at just about every heating device out there (space heaters, heat lamps, heat pads, microwave pads etc etc) and most have at least one bad story. I think it's the nature of heating devices and the cheap stuff that is out there these days. I think the only one I saw that did not have at least one negative review from a safety standpoint WAS the one mentioned above.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

It just sucks, since I thought nothing like this would ever happen to my hedgehogs. You really do not believe it could happen until it does :/.

I swear by the Holmes brand--you can find these at CVS. Holmes uses fan technology and they have a built in thermostat inside. The actual units do not get hot but put out nice heat. I have a few and each are different. They are not expensive.
    Last edited by 2Hedgies; 01-15-2017 at 10:52 PM.

I think I may get one. I was actually looking at some the other day. Thanks!

So I want some kind of alarm that will go off if my room reaches a dangerous temperature. I was wondering if anyone would know if this would work http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/v...cs-ve-300.html ?

It says here that the alarm sounds when temp is exceeded by 4 degrees so it should work if you are close enough to hear it. I've seen others like it , but never used them

Vivarium Electronics Model VE-300

The VE-300 is an upgraded version of the previous thermostats, and has the added benefit of battery backup and several alarm options that alert the reptile keeper to errors, including the sensor failure alarm (which sounds when the probe fails), the temperature overshoot alarm (sounds when the set temperature is exceeded by at least 4 degrees), and the too long to setpoint alarm (which alerts the user when the heating device fails). The Vivarium Electronics Model VE-300 also has a built in night drop feature, which allows for a regular temperature drop to be set at night. The VE-300 can function as a pulse proportional or on/off thermostat.

https://joshsfrogs.zendesk.com/hc/en...ics-Thermostat
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs

Any update on this? Did you decide on a model for the space heater and thermostat? How are things going?

Before the space heater was in a pretty small area with all of my hedgehogs so there was not much room for error. Now the hedgehogs have one big room with the space heater in it, and so far it has been good.