Thread: Glass and Mesh Vivarium for hedgy

Glass and Mesh Vivarium for hedgy

Hello there!

I do not yet own a hedgy however I am looking into investing in one hopefully soon!

However, I am really not a fan of regular plastic guinea pig cages etc and I am aware that certain wood can be toxic if sealed improperly, and wiring can be dangerous so

I am currently looking at large vivariums, such as a 41" x 16" x 13.5" and a much shallower 30" x 15" x 8" vivarium which would potentially be much cosier for hedgy.

Now I have two issues:

Would it be ok to replace the glass with a mesh type material in order to give hedgy lots of ventilation? Both of these vivariums have a typical glass front wall, and what I really like is that most of the top is also glass. I was thinking about leaving the glass wall however replacing the glass in the top with the mesh material. Is this a bad idea?

And secondly, since the vivarium has a wooden base, I would need to build a plastic tray for hedgy in order to keep everything sterile, safe and smelling nice! Would regular acrylic be ok to do this with? And what could I use to bond/stick separate pieces of plastic together safely?

Here is a photo of the vivarium I am thinking of, to give you a better idea of what I mean when I say I want to replace glass with mesh. image.jpg

Thank you ever so much in advance!
    Last edited by Geestrzalkowska; 08-11-2014 at 07:35 PM.

Replacing the top piece of glass with mesh would be fine, would allow for more air flow, but will also pose a challenge to keeping the heat in during the winter. Also, as far as the height goes, you need to allow room for the wheel, so the smaller one won't work unless you have the wheel sticking out the top. And, if you get an adventurous/daring hedgie, he/she may be able to climb out. I have my hedgie in a homemade wooden cage, but she has a stone tile floor, spoiled I know. The tile helps keep her nails short as she prefers to run laps in the cage more than running in her wheel. Also, helps keep her cool in the summer. I just put a blanket over the tile in her sleeping area in the winter to help keep her warmer. Since her cage is also open on top, we drape a blanket over the top to help keep the heat in.
    Momma to Wilhelmina Wiggles, and Winston Willobee III who has crossed the rainbow bridge.

As for the wheel, I was thinking about a running disk? Apparently these are also healthier for hedgies since their spines are kept straight. Would this be appropriate?

Ooooh that is spoiled! But of course I would spoil my hedgy too☺️ I do so enough with my dogs! (My hedgy would be staying with my boyfriend since technically it would be a gift for the two of us, so no dogs running around!)

Otherwise, apart from that the idea of a mesh top is fine so long as I remember to drape a blanket onto most of the mesh on colder days or use a heating mat?

And how did you install the tile flooring? Personally I think that a plastic tray would be more suitable for me, I'm just so worried that what I use to make it will hurt hedgy or be toxic!
    Last edited by Geestrzalkowska; 08-11-2014 at 07:28 PM.

If the "running disk" is the flying saucer, then the feedback I've seen by others is that they are not recommended for hedgehog. I don't use a heating mat, but a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) in the cooler temps and drape a blanket over half of the cage. I also keep a thermometer in her cage to monitor her temperature. As for the tile, it was installed just as you would in your home, tiles are set in mastic, then grouted, and then the grout is sealed with grout sealer. This is our 2nd hedgehog with this type of set up and we've had no issues. It does add significant weight to her cage.
    Momma to Wilhelmina Wiggles, and Winston Willobee III who has crossed the rainbow bridge.