Thread: Mood spikes and urine problem

Mood spikes and urine problem

Hello, I have some problems with my hedgehog, nothing I've dealt before, that's why I would need your help.
    To begin, I have a male albino hedgehog, about 2 and a half years old.
    It was a very fit hedgehog, always having a nice wheel he could run on, and he would run for the whole night, as long as he's awake, he's there. Was very active. Food was never a problem. He always had some in the bowl, but didn't used all of it, just the amount he needed.
    About 6 months ago, he started to gain weight. He became less and less active (the wheel isn't a problem, it's big enough and stable). Now, he's really fat. He almost doesn't run at all, just want's to eat, and walk for few minutes, then sleep again. I'm trying to control he's eating by givinh him just the right amount of food in the bowl per day, and I'm giving him some exsercise by making him swim and walk. It was going good, he lost some weight, but again, after 1 month, he's lazy again and the weight he lost is back again.
    The thing that is related to this is his mood swings. Some periods he's ok and trying to be active, and sometime he's so angry/nervous and lazy. He usualy gets fat on his angry period. I don't know what makes him go like that. He's warm, has everything he needs, not sure what would trigger him going crazy ( I always thought he's just like that).
    The newest problem is with his urine. It's kinda brownish. Going to take him to the vet, I hope it's just a small problem.

My question is, are those problems related, if not, what's triggering him going nervous (maybe mating or something like that), and what should I do for his urine? Should I be worried ? Do you have any suggestions ? I'll take him to the vet, but I don't really have any vet near me that knows much about hedgehogs.
    Regards

About 6 months ago, he started to gain weight. He became less and less active (the wheel isn't a problem, it's big enough and stable). Now, he's really fat. He almost doesn't run at all, just want's to eat, and walk for few minutes, then sleep again. I'm trying to control he's eating by givinh him just the right amount of food in the bowl per day, and I'm giving him some exsercise by making him swim and walk. It was going good, he lost some weight, but again, after 1 month, he's lazy again and the weight he lost is back again.
    Its not abnormal for them to get less active and gain some weight as they get older so that alone would not be cause for concern if that was all it was.
    The thing that is related to this is his mood swings. Some periods he's ok and trying to be active, and sometime he's so angry/nervous and lazy. He usualy gets fat on his angry period. I don't know what makes him go like that. He's warm, has everything he needs, not sure what would trigger him going crazy ( I always thought he's just like that).
    The mood swings may be because you are trying to get him to exercise - hedgehogs can be very stubborn and he may be trying to get his way. Or... it could be something health related and he doesn't feel well

The newest problem is with his urine. It's kinda brownish. Going to take him to the vet, I hope it's just a small problem.
    yes he should go to the vet. It may be a urinary tract infection and require antibiotics. You may want to check and see he does not have something (bedding, litter, etc) caught in his private parts. If it is an infection, most any vet should be able to treat it-its something dogs and cats get too.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

I think the vet check is a good idea. My one hedgehog had numerous urinary infections which were easily treated with oral liquid antibiotics. That could be making your hedgehog uncomfortable and less likely to move around. I also agree that he may be grumpy due to being forced to swim--hedgehogs do not like water. Yes, they have a smile on their face but that is just how they look, it does not mean he is happy in the water. He could be holding resentments towards you--yep, they hold grudges.

Keep us posted! Andrea