Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is she, isn't she?

Question Is she, isn't she?

Hettie and Bertie had a three day "sleepover" 31 days ago. Hettie is a more rounded shape, eating more (including daytime snacks), drinking more, has bigger poops.....I have prepped her vivarian just in case......read everything I can....and am now waiting just in case. Hettie is certainly acting differently but I really do not know if she is expecting - should I know?

Should you know? Not really-a lot of them don't really show signs of pregnancy. Day 35 or 36 is when a lot of them deliver but that varies widely as well. It sounds like you are prepared and that is the most important thing right now
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Awoke this morning to find three little ones in the living area - I have popped them gently (using a plastic spoon) into the nest. Hettie was making loud nesting sounds earlier so not sure if she has an other/s in the nest with her. Fingers crossed

Quick Update

Hettie was eating and drinking really well for the first 48 hours during the day and night - she is still drinking well during the night now but isn't eating a great deal. She is using her toilet

All is very quiet in the nest - I really do not know if there are little ones there or not?

The first few weeks the moms don't have time to eat or drink because they are busy nursing the babies. You will often see them run out really quickly to eat and then run back as soon as they hear babies squeak. If she is taking care of them, you will not see her much and will not hear noise. At this point I would not disturb her and assume she is taking care of them.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Thank you for your quick response x

Sorry me again!

Hettie had a wild 10 minutes last night - she was running around her vivarium climbing up the walls and glass - she appeared to be trying to get out. She stopped and seems to be fine now (it was about 21 hours ago). There had been no change to routine, no loud noises - all very strange

None of my hedgehogs have ever done anything like this before - is it usual with new mums?

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna56 View Post
    Sorry me again!

Hettie had a wild 10 minutes last night - she was running around her vivarium climbing up the walls and glass - she appeared to be trying to get out. She stopped and seems to be fine now (it was about 21 hours ago). There had been no change to routine, no loud noises - all very strange

None of my hedgehogs have ever done anything like this before - is it usual with new mums?
    She may be bored being cooped up in her nest with babies and when they were sleeping decided to burn off some energy. I've seen it before. It's also normal to find them sleeping outside the nest as babies grow up.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs

Thank you again x

Just a quick update to let you know the three babies did not survive. As I was changing Hettie's water on day 10 she came out of the nest and started to nuzzle me as she did prior to having them - I instinctively knew she was telling me. Each had grown so she had tried (probably for my benefit) but it looks as if she knew best right from day one.

I will try her again next year

Thank you for your support - it was much appreciated

Millie (with Bertie) and Dolly (with Alfie) have both had "sleepovers" both are putting weight on so fingers crossed xx
    Last edited by Johanna56; 09-06-2015 at 09:36 AM. Reason: spelling error