Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new breeder

new breeder

Hello everyone, I'm a new at breeding and have a few questions. I was wondering what to use for nesting material and is a cardboard box ok to use for a nest box? Also my Hazel isn't due til Nov. 2nd but she barely touched her food last night but drank a lot of water is that normal? I have been checking on her all morning and I can hear her moving around in her box and she is normally sleeping this time of day does that mean she is most likely having babies now?! Thank you for your help. Robin

Hi there Robin-Keep the cardboard box if you think she is in the process of having babies because you don't want to disturb her or her nest. We usually use either aspen or carefresh for nesting materials and it works fine. Dont disturb her nest at all because some moms will become very upset and destroy their babies, even after the first 2 weeks.

In the future I would use something other than cardboard because it will soak up pee, poop, spilled water, etc. Plastic igloo, modified tupperware, etc will stay cleaner while mom is taking care of babies
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Thank you

She had babies this morning! Should I leave her alone for 2 weeks? Some things I've read says 1 week and some say 2 weeks. Also should I be giving her a special food or supplement with vitamins while she is nursing? I feed her Iams sensitive stomach. Thank you so much I am new at this and I want to take the best care of them possible.

Congrats on the babies Leave her alone for at least 2 weeks. At 2 weeks, most moms will decide it is okay for you to hold the babies but I have had moms with babies older than 2 weeks get stressed as well. One week is usually not long enough especially for first time moms that are just figuring it all out. Give her larger quantities of food and water-they eat and drink a lot more while nursing. Special supplementation is usually not needed. I haven't used the Iams food, but if it is what she is used to I would stick with that
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

The babies are 2 weeks old now and I was wondering if it would be ok to change the nest box,since she ending up having them in a cardboard box it is a mess, it has soaked up pee on bottom and it smells pretty bad too. One of them crawled out of box the other day and I put it back in and mom hissed a little but that was it. At this point would she appreciate a clean box?

Mom seems to be fine with me now, she let me look in nest box with no problem. How soon can I start handling them? There are 4!

Quote Originally Posted by robin27 View Post
    The babies are 2 weeks old now and I was wondering if it would be ok to change the nest box,since she ending up having them in a cardboard box it is a mess, it has soaked up pee on bottom and it smells pretty bad too. One of them crawled out of box the other day and I put it back in and mom hissed a little but that was it. At this point would she appreciate a clean box?
    What I would do is leave the yucky nest box there and also put a new one in if you have the room. Give mom a choice-if she likes the new one better she will move the babies and make a new nest. Disturbing the nest can be very stressful to some moms-even more than handling the babies. If at any point she starts carrying babies around and running around with them, back way off and leave everything alone
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs

Quote Originally Posted by robin27 View Post
    Mom seems to be fine with me now, she let me look in nest box with no problem. How soon can I start handling them? There are 4!
    Start by handling only one baby for a minute or two and see how mom is. If she starts carrying them around and running around the cage, it means she is stressed so wait a bit longer. If she seems okay, then the next day hamdle a couple babies for a few minutes and work up from there. 4 babies is a nice size litter-not too big, not too small
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs