Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new breeder

I got to handle 2 of the babies last night while momma was eating, she watched me with no problem, but I have found her sleeping outside of box twice now she gets up and eats then goes right back in with the babies is this normal? Also the littlest one had a crusty eye, I wiped it off with warm cloth and put it right back, not sure what it is. Thanks so much for your input I appreciate it very much

The little one with crusty eye is getting better, and now that I can see his eye, I discovered that he has two different colored eyes, one black and one red! Is that common? Does that mean something is wrong with him? He's got the best personality out of them all.

If the eye doesn't seem normal at any point, your vet can prescribe an antibiotic cream, but it sounds like the warm compress is working for the crustiness. The odd eyes are not common but not unheard of either-its called heterochromia. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong necessarily-it is common in dogs and cats but not as much in the hedgies. What I would do is when he is 6 weeks old or so and not nursing and not still with mom, I would bring him to the vet to see if the vet can look in the eyes and at the structure of the eye to make sure there is nothing unusual.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

He seems fine now,the eye is clear with no sign of illness. I have a great dane with two different colored eyes, a brown one and a green one. I have never seen two different eyes with one being red that's why I thought something might be wrong with him. Thanks again for taking time to answer back you are the only one that has done that.

Any updates on how mommy and babies are doing? What about photos?

Momma and babies did great! Here are some pics!

Aw-they are cute Don't worry about the red eye-red and ruby eyes are very common in the lighter colored hedgehogs
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information