Thread: Quilling hedgie

Quilling hedgie

Does anyone have any understanding of quilling, I have baby that has been quilling for two weeks now and it doesn't look like he's getting any better yet, he doesn't want picked up, he clicks and hisses and just balls up every time I try. The other two in the litter went through it and are as sweet as can be. I have given him a bath with a drop of olive oil but it didn't help and I don't know what else to do. HELP!

Yup, sounds familiar. I've had babies that took longer to quill or were much more miserable through it than their litter mates. If he doesn't mind baths too much you may want to try oatmeal rather than olive oil (colloidal oatmeal they use for the itch of poison ivy works fine) Make sure he doesn't have any inflamed red spots-if so he could have an ingrown quill. He may also be shyer or grumpier naturally and the quilling is making it worse. How does he interact with mom and the rest of the litter? Sometimes I've had one baby being picked on by the others too at that age which makes them shyer sometimes.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Momma seemed fine with them as far as I could tell,it was her first litter and she ate one of them, but she did leave the nest alot, but still fed the other three that lived. I gave him another bath today and it seemed to sooth him.I separated them from momma about a week and a half ago, they are 8 weeks old as of 7 14 16, do you think I separated them too soon? Is it normal to go through such a difficult time with quilling,he is the first one I've had that had such a hard time.
    Last edited by robin27; 07-17-2016 at 10:54 AM.