Thread: Experienced Revolution Users: Advice needed

Question Experienced Revolution Users: Advice needed

First off, thank you for visiting this post Here is some background information:

Last week I adopted Hezzie who is approximately 7 months from his previous owner who only had him for a few days. She explained that she is no longer able to keep him but that he came from a pet store who neglected him. The hedgehog was scratching a lot and has extremely dry flaky skin. The previous owner went to the vet and purchased 3 doses of 'Revolution' and had told me to use the last 2 doses 14 days apart.

Since then, I have been using olive oil on Hezzie. He seems to puff and huff severely with any human contact so application has been difficult. I am working hard to use all tips from the forum to bond with him. He is no longer scratching as much and from his last aveeno bath, his skin definitely looks better.

I visited my local vet and he was very vague with instructions to apply "just dab it on his back". I am seeking some general advice and have some questions below.

Here are my concerns with applying Revolution:

1) How do you apply this medication? Where are you supposed to place it (all over the back?) -- since he is not used to being handled I am not sure how to even apply properly.
    2) is it safe to use as a preventative? What if no mites are present or diagnosed?
    3) Would all 3 doses be needed? Can you stop after 1? Or is it similar to anti-biotics...
    4) Lastly, any general tips or experiences to share?

Again, Thank you so much for reading and your help!

1) How do you apply this medication? Where are you supposed to place it (all over the back?) -- since he is not used to being handled I am not sure how to even apply properly.

Spread the quills between the shoulder blades and drop one drop on the skin between the shoulder blades.

2) is it safe to use as a preventative? What if no mites are present or diagnosed?

Some people do use it as a preventative. Not necessary for most hedgehogs who are pets

3) Would all 3 doses be needed? Can you stop after 1? Or is it similar to anti-biotics...

Usually 2 doses 30 days apart is what is needed. The 2nd dose is to get any babies and stop the life cycle of the mite.

4) Lastly, any general tips or experiences to share?

Clean the cage and anything in it if you think it is mites.

Give him some time to get more social-a few weeks or more for a hedgehog who is not used to being handled
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Hey Ann!

Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions. The advice given was very helpful.

I found the syringe a bit tricky to use as dose 2 did not land on the hedgehog but on my floor ...another application method might be easier (Gel/Q-tip if that is an option?)

Tonight I just admistered the final dose of Revolution! Hezzie was extremely huffy and I did get poked, but overall ... SUCESS! His dry skin has also been minimal thanks to Aveeno and olive oil