Thread: He anointed, made his tongue bleed, bit my finger to bleed! HELP! TWO PROBLEMS!!

Exclamation He anointed, made his tongue bleed, bit my finger to bleed! HELP! TWO PROBLEMS!!

I had a new perfume, so he had to anoint himself (licking and biting my shirt and than anointing) when I noticed some kind of tiny white pimple on his neck!
    He made his tongue bleed after anointing, it happens from time to time..
    I tried to move his head (gently) after anointing to see what is that white thing (he is one grumpy hedgehog, he is almost one yr old, rarely lets me cuddle his tummy but when he does then it lasts from half an hour to an hour) but he didn't allow me.
    I gave him treats and started with tummy massage so he can get relaxed a little so I could move his head to see what is that (usually when I massage his belly I rub his ears, feet and move his head up or on the sides so he can get used to the touch for vet-visiting..)..

After few minutes he bit me, hard as never before he bit and did not want to let my finger for one whole minute! I tried to puff air- he bit me harder, i tried to move my finger deeper in his jaws-he bit harder, i didn't do anything-he bit me harder i tried to pull my finger slowly but he bit harder...i don't know how i pulled my finger really, but it was bleeding..

Before this, when he bite he immediately let go, or i puff air in his face and than he let go.

Now I am worried about two things...
    1. Can he pass me some disease if his blood mixed with mine???
    2. Can the pimples be dangerous? It reminds me on small white pimple on human skin...I will take him to the vet tomorrow but we don't have vet for exotic animals (I took him once cuz he got sick and he did not want to open)

and sorry for my bad English.

Now I am worried about two things...
    1. Can he pass me some disease if his blood mixed with mine???
    Possibly but not likely. Wash and disinfect your cut on your finger and you should be okay.

2. Can the pimples be dangerous? It reminds me on small white pimple on human skin...I will take him to the vet tomorrow but we don't have vet for exotic animals (I took him once cuz he got sick and he did not want to open)

I am not as worried about the pimple as I am about the change in his behavior. He could be in pain. Let us know what the vet says.

Your English is very good
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

It is just a harmless pimple, I probably scared him with my paranoid behavior. :$ Vet says he is one healthy hedgie! And grumpy.