+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: vitamin E oil

vitamin E oil

Does anyone use vitamin E oil for dry skin? I don\'t like using Aveeno baths because some of mine like the taste and drink it-yuck!

Post edited by: CThogs, at: 2007/12/14 04:56
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Re:vitamin E oil

For baths, some people use Johnson and Johnson baby bath either unscented or the lavender type. I have put vitamin E on Snow for quilling. I just wet his back with plain water after his bath and poked a hole in a vitamin E capsule and put about three drops on his back. This did really seem to stop his itchy skin.

It didn\'t occur to me to buy the capsules. So, I actually bought a small bottle of it, and a dropper. I usually just place a few drops on Lucy\'s back after a bath. She seems to have a problem with dry skin and this takes care of it. I also bathe her with Aveeno oatmeal and I use Aveeno baby shampoo. But if yours like the taste of the Aveeno shampoo...eeww!
    Lori and Lucy

I didn\'t buy them specifically for the hedgies, I keep them in the house to treat minor burns from cooking and I take them for my skin when it gets really dry. So when I read about using them on hedgies, I used what I had.

Glad to hear the vitamin E oil works. I have a bottle on hand so I\'ll try it out.

Another thing I have used is Burts bees citrus & ginger root body wash. It has a lot of different essential oils in it so it doesn\'t dry them out and it makes them smell nice too. And even though it has honey and all sorts of yummy sounding ingredients, they know that it\'s not food. But put them in an oatmeal bath or olive oil or anything too close to real food and they can\'t resist taking a sip or 2. Very funny in a disgusting sort of way.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs
    A USDA licensed African pygmy hedgehog breeder located in CT. We serve the tri-state area of CT, New York State and NJ as well as Western MA (and anywhere else you happen to be) Visit our website for more information

Administrator

Sounds like it is pretty good stuff! Be careful to rinse it all off very well though, some of the essential oils can actually be quite harsh, and can cause skin irritation.
    Becca

amscpa wrote:
    Does anyone use vitamin E oil for dry skin? I don\'t like using Aveeno baths because some of mine like the taste and drink it-yuck!
    Stop being such a fussy-pants, Ann! It\'s only oatmeal so t\'s safe to eat (although you may want to make sure the hedgie empties out *before* the bath! :sick:

I will have to get myself some of that Burt\'s wash you mentioned. It sounds like it would go great with my new giant spa tub! B)

-K
    Kelly Sosik-Hamor
    Hamor Hollow Hedgehogs, a New Hampshire breeder
    Do you want to buy a baby Hedgehog? Ask me if they are available |
    Hedgehog World

No, I was being a cheapskate-I had the vitamin E oil sitting around and figured it was worth a try. But I\'m back to the oatmeal-it seems to work better.

Enjoy that spa tub! The burts bees is a favorite of both humans and hedgies around here.
    Ann
    Connecticut Hedgehogs

Vitmain E was a godsend! When I brought Kiki home she was having a hard time adjusting. I noticed that her skin was REALLY dry and she was still quilling. I just gave her a bath with Aveno Baby and gave her a rub down with one of my vitamin E capsules and she is out running around, playing, and being curious. I\'ll let you now if i develop any long term gripes with it, but so far it\'s the best thing I\'ve done for her.

I have just been using a pinch of olive oil. I use it on my hair when it dries out and it works just as well on Ava. I just put a little bit in warm water and drizzle it on her back and then dry her off. Her ears get dry and sometimes her little feet so we use a little bag balm on those areas.

I wish someone was as dedicated to eradicating my dry skin as we are about taking care of Ava\'s :silly:
    Family: Ava & Gelsomina - Hedgehogs
    Enoch & Fellini - Cats
    Meneo - Dog
    Carlo - Human

+ Reply to Thread